Sunday, May 06, 2007

Why I want to join the Foreign Service


As part of the Foreign Service application, you submit a "Statement of Interest." Here is what I submitted:

I have always been proud to be an American. Through our resourcefulness, boldness, tenacity, and compassion, our nation has accomplished amazing feats and risen to world prominence in a relatively short amount of time. But this pride is not arrogance. I don’t wear my nationality like a Superman cape. I am well aware of the dark moments in our own history. And I do not maintain my patriotism by deriding other nations or cultures. Indeed, I am mindful of the contributions of so many others throughout the world. Accordingly, I have always sought to get to know foreign students at school or people of different ethnic backgrounds at work or in the neighborhood. It may sound naïve, but I strongly believe that the entire world would be better off if we all work together. We can all gain by sharing knowledge and values, and by trading goods and services. Yes, this is the ideal – and not always easily achieved. While there are many people who admire our nation, there are a vicious few who would see it destroyed. For some situations, military action may be the appropriate response. For many others, diplomacy and cooperation are called for. That’s where I can make a difference.

Because I have been so blessed to be a part of this nation, I feel it is time to give something back, to serve my country. Now is the right time, not only because of increasing global turmoil, but also because it is the right time in my life. As a result of pursuing my education and developing valuable skills in my career, I have much to contribute. In addition, I have had a lifelong interest in peoples, cultures, languages, and world events, creating in me a compelling desire to get to know many others, and to share with them all I could about myself and my culture. So I have often wondered if there were a way to serve my country while satisfying my desire to get to know many other people and cultures.

Then I heard a story on the radio about the Foreign Service. It struck me deeply, and yet so clearly: this is what I have been looking for; this is where I can make my greatest contribution.

After researching the hiring process and the work of the Foreign Service, I approach it now well-prepared and with my eyes wide open. The selection process is rigorous and competitive, which means I would have the enviable opportunity to work with the best of the best. The work is demanding, perhaps even exhausting, which means I will grow and contribute in truly significant ways. Conditions may be rough, the assignments may not always be glamorous, and the welcome may not always be warm for an American on foreign soil, which will deepen my appreciation for my homeland and challenge me to reach out and find common ground wherever I am. Who could ask for a better opportunity?

Finally, it all came together when I saw there was a management track. This most closely aligns with my experience, background, and interests. Whether working with information technology, personnel, or physical assets, I do my best work and find the most satisfaction in bringing people together to achieve excellence within an organization – even in the face of considerable obstacles.

3 comments:

Shaun said...

This post came in quite handy for me as I was writing my own statement of interest, so thanks very much!

Shell In A Nutshell said...

hi there..did u get the job in foreign affairs?

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say that I stumbled upon your blog just now looking for examples of Personal Statements for the Oral Assessment (heading to mine in November). This and the other posts on your blog have been hugely helpful, especially the Oral Assessment breakdown. Huge congrats on your posting and best of luck in the new job!